Genoa Harbour lays over a surface of 500 Hectares as much as of water areas.
There are 47000 mt of marine works,30000 of which are operating wharfs,able
to grant berthings for over 200 ships of different types.The soundings vary
between 9 and 15 mt with a maximum dept of 50/60 mt off Multedo Oil Terminal
for super-tankers.All these elements gathered put Genoa Harbour and its outer
basins in the Gotha of Mediterranean and European Ports.
An intercontinental and modern airport complete the great potential of Genoa.
The Harbour and its structures are the core of a complex economic system which
pass over the border of the same region;all around this system gravitate
gigantic interests and activities.More and more developping,the system is build
up by Ship Agencies,Custom brokers,International forwarders,Transporters,Commu
nications,Hundred of Services,Shipsuppliers,Yards,Mechanical workshops,Naval
repair,yachting facilities and you bet we can go on longer with this list.
The completion of VOLTRI basin represent the most modern container Terminal,and
work for hundreds of persons.An area of 425000 sqm wide,devoted entirely to
naval repair,2710 mt of wharfs,warehouses,yachting centers.......all these are
the results of a development policy never ending.
Each stone of the port is witness of centuries of history,wars,sacrifices and
hopes even before Columbus era,and Genoa can be considered one the national pillars.
OUTER HARBOUR DEFENCES
The outer harbour defences are founded on rocks and reefs 9975 mt long.
- MAIN HARBOUR BREAKWATER
- DUCA DI GALLIERA BREAKWATER
- OUTER BREAKWATER
- CORNIGLIANO BREAKWATER
- AIRPORT BREAKWATER
CONSPICUOUS BEARING POINTS
And many other fortress all surrounding the city from mountains and hills.All
above points are well marked on Nautical charts and plans.
- On the top of Mount Figogna (804 m. NW of Genoa) The Sanctuary of Madonna
- Sanctuary of Madonna del Gazzo,overing on Multedo Oil Terminal.(421m.)
- Red and White Framework belonging to TELECOM ITALIA (70 m.) in position:
Latitude:44°25'08'' N Longitude:08°54'07'' E.
- LANTERNA Lighthouse
- Fort Castellaccio (361 mt)
- Mount Fasce (834 m)
- Fort Quezzi (231 m).
- Quezzi Tower (NE of Genoa 318 mt).
- Fort Richelieu (500 mt).
- Bell tower of St.Erasmo Church.
- White building of the local Hospital.
- Bell Tower of Madonna delle Grazie sanctuary.
- Ashore Oil Tanks along the coast over The oil terminal.
- Multedo Oil Island.
LIGHTHOUSES AND LAMPS
- LANTERNA lighthouse (44°24'N - 08°54'E) an old squared tower with 2 floor
and grey terraces.Height:117 mt.Range 40 nautical miles and 2 white flashes each
- Punta VAGNO lighthouse:on a round white tower 9 mt tall.Group of 3 white
flashes each 15 seconds,Range=18 n.miles.
- Duca di Galliera breakwater:Quick Red flashing each 4 seconds on the head,
just entering the eastern harbour entrance.
- Yachting Fair wharf:2 green fixed vertical lights.
- Multedo Oil Island:group of 3 white flashes each 15 seconds.
HARBOUR TRAFFIC REGULATIONS
The eastern bearing of the entrance and the high traffic incoming and outgoing,
they make necessary to use special cautions either entering or leaving the port.
It is on the way to be completed the new tower where will be settled the new
organism of Port Approach Control,and this will be in charge
to control and handle all the harbour traffic.All ships must stop their engines
at a distance not less of 1 ml from the entrance and await and pick up the Pilot.
To avoid collision risks all ships coming from the 3rd and 4th sectors must start
to manoeuvre before to reach the alignment LANTERNA - DUCA DI GALLIERA LIGHTHOUSE
at a distance not less than 1300 mt.It is suitable to steer toward Punta Vagno
with a course 040°.Each small boat must give compulsory the way to the merchant
ships entering or leaving the harbour,and these ones must use their whistles,
signalling with not less than 4 blasts if necessary.The speed to be keept in the
harbour area must be the lower possible,just that is necessary to manoeuvre.
Generally the sea bottom of the gulf is a good keeper for anchoring everywhere.
The eastern entrance is 16 mt deep,while the channels to Old Docks and Lanterna
Docks are 12 mt deep.Alongside the wharfs the drafts are between 9 and 12 mt.
At Multedo Oil Terminal the approaching channel is 15,5 mt deep,outer below the
Island is 50 mt deep.
All the anchorages zones and prohibited areas,they are well drawn on the uptodated
nautical charts and plans.Just for short information the prohibited areas either
for anchorages or fishing are well numbered from 1 to 8.
- ALFA ZONE:for ships entering or leaving Voltri Port.It is included between
Voltri channel and Multedo one.
- BRAVO ZONE:for small tankers just out of Cornigliano breakwater.Between
08°50'42'' E and 08°52'52'' E and following points:
AA)-44°23'50''N - 08°50'42''E
BB)-44°23'26''N - 08°52'52''E
- CHARLIE ZONE:for ships to/from Old Docks.Between bearing 022° from LANTERNA
and prohibited areaa nos.3,4 AND 5.
- DELTA ZONE:for ships to/from OLD DOCKS and SAMPIERDARENA DOCKS.It is Eastward
the harbour and Southward the prohibited areas Nos.7,8 and following points:
AA)-44°22'09''N - 08°59'10''E
BB)-44°20'00''N - 09°00'31''E
CC)-44°20'00''N - 09°04'00''E
DD)-44°21'30''N - 09°04'00''E
SELECTIVE ANCHORAGES PER TONNAGE
- ECHO:for ships over 40000 GRT within a range of 800 mt from:
44°22'34''N - 08°51'28''E
- FOXTROT:for ships over 40000 GRT within a range of 800 mt from:
44°22'35''N - 08°52'38''E
- GOLF:for ships over 40000 GRT within a range of 800 mt from:
44°21'39''N - 08°52'09''E
- HOTEL:for ships between 20000 and 40000 GRT,within a range of 500 mt from:
44°23'21''N - 08°51'09''E
- LIMA:for ships between 20000 and 40000 GRT,within a range of 500 mt from:
44°23'21''N - 08°52'00''E
Ship compasses can be aligned and verified out of the breakwater and on sight
of it.On the breakwater are well painted Numbers and Vertical black stripes.
The numbers they represent the even value bearings,while the stripes the Odd value
bearings.Compass rounds must be effected standing at the anchorage.There are
two firms authorized and specialized for these jobs:
-TELECOM ITALIA (Ex S.I.R.M.)